We Are Called‎ > ‎

Church History

Updated October 9, 2015

Mifflin Presbyterian Church - 1941
Presbyterian services were held in the vicinity of Gahanna as early as 1819, but no effort was made to organize a congregation until 1840 when Nathaniel Harris submitted to Presbytery a petition from 21 persons in Mifflin Township requesting the establishment of a church here.

John Clark, the founder of Gahanna, gave the congregation the present lot on which in 1844 the first building was erected. At the time the congregation was organized, it was not financially able to call a pastor, and for several years it depended upon stated supplies appointed by Presbytery.

The first one to be sent was Rev. Highland Hibbard, of the Columbus Presbytery, who served as a supply until the Church was able to call Rev. Ebenezer Washburn who was a professor at Central College and pastor of the Blendon or Westerville Church. He was installed on May 30, 1852 and became the first minister of Mifflin Church on a half-time basis.  read more...
Mifflin’s Pastors:

1840-1852
supply pastors
1852-1859
Rev. Ebenezer Washburn
1861-1864
Rev. J. C. Tidball
1864
Rev. J. W. Baldwin
stated supply

1864-1865
Rev. Wraynard
stated supply

1865-1866
Rev. George Humphrey Fullerton
stated supply

1866-1868
Rev Reuben Hahn
stated supply

1869-1870
Rev. O.H. Newlin
stated supply

1876-1878
Rev. William E. Mack
1879
Rev. Thomas H. Kohr
1881-1882
Rev. Francis A. Wilbur
stated supply

1882-1885
Rev. Charles Lee
stated supply

1886-1887
Rev. Francis A. Wilbur
stated supply

1888-1892
Rev. William D. Wallace
stated supply

1893-1895
Rev. John F. Horton
1895-1897
Rev. William L. Baker
1899-1902
Rev. Charles W. Hempstead
1904-1905
Rev. Francis X. Miron
stated supply

1905-1906
Rev. Charles G. Watson
stated supply

1906-1912
Rev. B. Frank Jacobs
1913-1917
Rev. J. G. Currie
1918-1927
Rev. John A. Ewalt
1928-1931
Rev. Ralph W. Illingworth
1932-1935
Rev. Philip Lamar Williams
1936-1944
Rev. Donald William MacLeod
1945-1949
Rev. Benjamin F. Judd
1949-1960
Rev. George F. Mace
1960-1964
Rev. Nicholas B. Bosworth
1964-1976
Rev. Donald DeWitt Swift
1973-1974
Rev. Curtis Miller
Associate
1976-1977
Rev. Glen C. Shaffer
Interim

1977-1994
Rev. John J. Manos
1991-1993
Rev. James Michael Moran
Associate
1994-1995
Rev. W. Donald Pendell
Interim

1995-2005
Rev. Roger Gerald Wagner
1997-2001
Rev. George L. Bendall
Associate
2002-2011
Rev. Stephanie H. Boaz
Associate
2005-2007
Rev. Alexander McDougall
Interim

2007-2012
Rev. Peter Dembroski
2012-2014
Rev. Nancy Carle
Interim

2014-Present
Rev. David Bubb